LIFE offers monthly handgun safety classes. To attend, you must:
- not be a fugitive from justice,
- not have been convicted of a felony,
- not be a user of illegal drugs,
- never have been committed to a mental institution,
- not have been dishonorably discharged from the US armed forces,
- not be an illegal alien,not be subject to a TRO, and
- not be convicted of a misdemeanor crime of violence.
Minors as young as 12 years old are welcome, provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Class cost is $150 per student. Failure to attend forfeits your payment. You may reschedule for a $25 fee, provided you contact the instructor at least 3 days prior to the class.
We are no longer taking paper applications and all registration for courses are to be made online. If you have any questions please call 396-LIFE.
2017 Schedule of Classes
- February 12, 2017 – LIFE Class
- March 12, 2017 – LIFE Class
- April 9, 2017 – LIFE Class
- May 14, 2017 – LIFE Class
- June 17 & 18, 2017 – Shooting Sports Fair
- June 25, 2017 – LIFE Class
THINGS TO BRING
Some of our classes and all of our shooting activities are conducted outdoors at the Kokohead Shooting Complex. LIFEwill provide all ﬁrearms and ammunition as well as any class materials needed. Be sure you bring:
- eye protection (sunglasses or prescription glasses are ﬁne)
- hearing protection if you want to use something other than the soft ear plugs LIFE provides students
- long pants (no shorts)
- close-toed shoes (no slippers or sandals)
- tight neck t-shirt or collared shirt (no tank tops, no bare shoulders)
- baseball cap
- sack lunch
- your photo ID
WHAT TO EXPECT
LIFE classes follow the outline of the NRA First Steps Pistol class, with the addition of a section on Hawaii ﬁrearms laws and a mandatory live ﬁre session to comply with Hawaii law. You will learn about:
- the common types of handguns (revolver, semi-auto, single action, double action)
- how to load, operate, and unload each type of ammunition, how it works, how to identify it, what can go wrong
- 2 hours of live ﬁre training
- how to store your ﬁrearms and ammunition
- how to legally and safely transport your ﬁrearms and ammunition
- what activities are available to shooters here
Our volunteer instructors will bring a variety of guns for you to try. A typical class has between 30-50 handguns to shoot, covering the entire gamut from small to large, old to new, simple to complex, affordable to expensive. This is an excellent opportunity not only to learn how to safely use a ﬁrearm, but to test drive a wide variety of pistols.
Upon successful completion of this class you will receive an afﬁdavit in the mail. This afﬁdavit is required to purchase a handgun in Hawaii. We can usually process and send out the afﬁdavit within a couple of weeks, but it could take as long as 4-6 weeks.